Monday, November 09, 2009
Octopus 5, Giant Pacific Octopus, Kirsten Chursinoff 2009
I studied surface design and dyeing in the Textile Art Program at Capilano, but I've kept to the cleaner side of the fabric arts since then. I can usually find the colour I need in my fabric stash, so I rarely create a colour from scratch. In this case, I just wanted to alter an existing fabric. I'm happy that I didn't loose the spotted pattern. It's still visible through the lightly applied colour from the Shiva paint sticks.
Shiva paint sticks, stencil brush, plastic lid, sample scraps of fabric
I smeared the paint sticks on a yogourt lid.
Blended the Napthol Red and Ultramarine Blue with a stencil brush.
I then tapped the colour onto the fabric with quick brush taps. Hitting the fabric rather than brushing.
It takes a few days to dry completely. I tried ironing between two sheets of paper to speed up the drying, but it remained smeary, so I waited a few days for it to dry and then I ironed it again.
My octopus template on the newly altered fabric.
Ready to pin cut and sew!