Upcoming Events


Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer 2012 with Flowers


What are these called? I can't remember.

Ansel stops to smell the flowers. Seawall park, Vancouver.
Garden 4, Kirsten Chursinoff, 2011.


One of the pieces on display at Crafthouse, the Crafts Council of BC, on Granville Island. Garden 4 measures, 3 ½” x 4 ¾”, and 9 ½” x 12” in a blonde wood frame.
(9 x 12 cm, and 2 x 30 cm frame)

Detail of Garden 1, currently in the studio.  
 I had to take a moment to "smell the flowers" around here.  I love the marine life/seashore theme I've been working on, but I miss the bright colours of flowers. I made this series while I was pregnant with Ansel.


Now, the following pictures are not mine, but I had to share them!
Marjorie Blamey

Marjorie Blamey

Recently, I lucked out and found a Wild Flowers book illustrated by Marjorie Blamey at a second hand shop.  I can't believe what a great reference this will be for me, specially in the winter months. Of course I never copy the work of others, I only use it as a starting point. I take my own photos and when I do use references I make sure to change and 'translate' the images so that they become my own.

I'm planning to show some flower and garden pieces at the exhibition at the Secret Garden in 2013, so I'll be going back and forth between the marine life and flowers. I think that should give me a nice creative balance and I can work on pieces as different moods come and go. The theme for the two person show at Circle Craft is brewing (incubating) as well, but I'll get back to that another time...

By the way, I'm thinking of re-naming my blog and business to be "When Ansel Sleeps". People are asking me if I'm back to work now that he's over a year old.  The answer is yes, but I'm also a full-time mom, with no daycare, so yes, I'm back to work, but only "When Ansel Sleeps" (or when he has a nice visit with his Danish Grandma).

4 comments:

Biloba said...

I don't know what the exact English name of this flower is, but the Latin name is : Portulaca grandiflora.
There is a folk name of this flower: "kukacvirág" in my country. It means "wormflower", named after the shape of its leaves.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

I have a whole row of these blooming in my flower bed and yes, they are portulaca. Your Garden piece is lovely :)

Kirsten Chursinoff said...

Thank you for the portulaca answers. So good to know.

arianek said...

Kirsten! How did I not have your blog in my RSS reader!? Glad that's remedied, was wondering what you've been up to. :)