Upcoming Events

Feathers and Wings
An exhibition of my embroidered birds, butterflies and moths.
New Westminster Public Library
April 1-30, 2015

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Elderberries and Ladybugs


"Elderberries and Ladybugs" by Kirsten Chursinoff, 2012
5” x 6 ½” (13 x 17cm)
12" x 15" framed (31 x 38cm)

These days my art making is best done while Ansel is visiting his grandparents, or swimming at the Y with Daddy. A few weeks ago I had a good chunk of time to myself and I sewed some berries.
My design and photo files are filled with images of berries. Here are a few snapshots that inspired my recent pieces:


Elderberries, Mole Hill, Vancouver


Elderberries, Mole Hill, Vancouver


Sewing the berries.


Sewing the reflected light.


"Elderberries" by Kirsten Chursinoff, 2012
3” x 4 ¼” (8 x12cm)
9" x 11" framed (23 x 28cm)


Bye for now,
K

P.S. Did you notice that "Elderberries and Ladybugs" also has ladybug eggs and a larva?
P.P.S. Why do some people say ladybug and some say ladybird?

7 comments:

Marta Brysha said...

Lovely work. The colour palette is gorgeous!

Lynette (NZ) said...

So glad you are getting some creative time. Beautiful work - beautiful couple ;-)

Monika Kinner-Whalen / My Sweet Prairie said...

Very pretty! I love these colors. Congrats on mommy hood & your beautiful boy ; )
~Monika in Saskatoon

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Beautifully designed and stitched!

petka said...

Send spring greetings from the Czech Republic :-)
Our blog has been chosen by me for the Versatile Blogger award.
Petra

Margaret said...

Popped over thanks to Monika. Your work is stunning! I can't imagine working that small with my machine...I'd have to do it by hand. I am in awe of your skill!

Hoola Tallulah said...

In England we say ladybird, but I have no idea why...
Your work is beautiful, just found you via flickr, and so glad I did too!