Upcoming Events


Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Early Bird Catches the Worm

The Early Bird Catches the Worm - the Tube Worm, in this case.



Yes, I've been talking about it for months and now it's finally here. No more counting down the days. My 'Low Tide show is now up on the walls at Crafthouse, The Craft Council of BC Gallery. The official opening reception is Thursday June 17 from 6-8pm, but no one will stop you if you're one of the early birds who likes to catch a worm, or starfish, or octopus or any of the other seaside treasures.

The Gallery is open 10-6 daily
1386 Cartwright St.
Granville Island, Vancouver.
Look for the red awning and banner:

Craft Council of BC

Everyone is welcome at the opening reception Thursday June 17, 6-8pm.

There are still a few spots left for my artist talk and slide show on Tuesday June 22 7pm, but RSVP is required for the artist talk. You can RSVP to me with your name and email address. If you don't know my email, you can always find it on my website:
http://www.chursinoff.com/kirsten/

Behind the scenes - Preparing for the show:
Since I've been spilling my creative guts all over the place, I may as well show my seams too!
Here's a peak at the reverse side of the Giant Pacific Octopus. This guy is in the exhibition, and if you know where to look, he'll be on some glossy pages in a month or two!

Giant Pacific Octopus, reverse side (bobbin thread and embroidery knots). Backing fabric is artist canvas. Hand and machine embroidery.


Once the pieces are finished and documented, I mount them on acid free art paper with hand stitches in matching thread colours. To hold the pieces in place I use a book (most often Charles Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species'- because it's the right size and this edition has a cool skeleton on the cover). I then mat and frame the pieces. The art appears to float on the backing once it's all put together. I leave the raw edges of the fabric exposed, but the layers are usually secured with a zig zag or other type of stitching, so they have a somewhat tidy look. I've developed this technique over many years. It's time consuming and has to be done just right, but I like the way the pieces look when they're finished and framed on the wall.


Kirsten Chursinoff Ochre Stars, framed 11" x 9"

See you Thursday evening!

4 comments:

myredbike said...

Thanks for sharing the process of mounting your artwork, Kirsten! I look forward to seeing the show in person.
Holly

Lisa said...

Your pieces are always exquisitely framed! Thanks so much for sharing how you do it! Wish I could come to see this exhibit. It looks like it will be a wonderful show!

Lorraine K said...

Have a great opening Kirsten! I will see your show in mid-July and looking forward to seeing it.

material witness said...

Try again Patricia! We had really wanted to come to your opening but Tim was in hospital most of yesterday. Sent the best thoughts to you and hope it was wonderful. You are!