Upcoming Events


Saturday, May 01, 2010

Low Tide - Purple Sea Stars


Purple sea stars, Belcarra Regional Park, Port Moody, BC

It has been difficult to hear the news about the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. I am not able to grasp the gigantic size of it, nor comprehend the endless repercussions it will have. I simply can't believe that something like that can happen because of our need to burn fuel.

The only thing I can do to stay sane is focus on the beauty of the coastline near my home and try to live gently as I interpret the creatures and landscapes through art. My heart goes out to the people of the surrounding areas, and the marine creatures that will suffer and die in the mess.

I know laws have changed since 1989 but did you know that Exxon (Esso) never paid for any of the damage their company caused in the enormous Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska!


Sea star shapes, not sewn into place yet.


Sea star shape, not sewn down yet.


Building texture on cloth with salvaged cheesecloth that was used in my sister's painting business. The paint stained cheesecloth is sewn onto the cotton, by free-motion machine stitching. It creates a great texture that is reminiscent of the seashore.


Sea Stars, Belcarra.

47 days to the start of my "Low Tide" Exhibition

3 comments:

knitsteel said...

Beautiful. I love your blog.

pinke.paints said...

I agree about the Gulf oil disaster. It makes my head hurt to listen to the news of it.

Such an interesting technique you have. Fascinating!

essay writing said...

very beautiful!