Upcoming Events


Friday, January 29, 2010

The Most Venomous Octopus


Blue-Ringed Octopus 2010 Kirsten Chursinoff


Blue-Ringed Octopus - Back of cloth


Images from online sources. I would have loved to fly to Australia to take my own pics, but on an artist's income - not a chance.

This time the commission is for someone nearby, but the creature is from the other side of the planet. I've joked a few times now about how the octopus is my new FLOWER. Well, now it's coming true. Here's a few pics showing some of the stages for this piece.


My drawing, cut out as a paper template.

The Blue-Ringed has shorter legs than the Giant Pacific Octopus I've worked with previously.


Couched silk threads.


Building an undersea landscape. Fabrics and dyed cheesecloth. Light application of Shiva Paintsticks by stencil brush.


Bringing some of the elements together.



Hand stitching - couching blue silk yarn.



Machine stitching around the couched rings.
All the connecting threads were trimmed with embroidery scissors.


Detail shot showing stitched and encrusted surface of the ocean floor, octopus suckers, small seashell beads salvaged from a necklace.

2 comments:

arlee said...

He's starting to look quite lively :}

Erica said...

love this piece - I've seen one in the wild, scary thought when you are given to poking around rockpools as I am